So my mum has gone back to Canada, after a long stay to help me with the transition from one child to two. I learned a lot from her in the weeks she was here. Mostly about recipes you can cook with one hand. This chicken biryani recipe is super simple, and very mild. Join us next Wednesday to learn how to make it.
Chicken Biriyani (serves 6)
|* chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces and salted (50-80g per person)
* onion, diced
* garlic, minced
* cauliflower, 1 head, broken into small pieces
* zucchini, cut into chunks
* cumin, 1-3 tbsp
* cardamom, 1-2 tsp
* turmeric, 2-4 tsp
* butter, 50g
* chick peas, 1 can
* coconut milk, 1 can, plus 1 can of hot water
* chicken soup stock, 1-2 cubes
* garam masala, 2 tsp
* lemon or lime juice, about 50mL
* coriander leaf to garnish, 1 bunch
* 300g basmati rice
|1. In a deep pan, melt butter and sauté onions.
2. Add cumin, turmeric and cardamom and sauté until you get a good fragrance.
3. Add chicken and garlic and cook chicken until about 60% done.
4. Add vegetables and toss everything.
5. Add chick peas and coconut milk, stir well.
6. Refill coconut milk can with hot water and chicken soup stock, stir and add to pot.
7. Add garam masala and lemon juice.
8. Finally add basmati rice (Thai rice)
9. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer about 15 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
10. Remove from heat, add coriander leaves and stir. Let stand for 30-60 minutes before serving.