Join us for lunch Nov 28th, 2018 from 11:00-13:00.
Reservations open until Nov 26th. Fee is 1500 yen.
This month we are doing a vegetarian(ish) recipe, black bean burgers. I will prepare the beans in advance but the recipe is available below. For now the burger recipe.
Makes 8 patties.
|• cooked black beans (400g)
• shitake (saute, diced)
• medium onion (1, grated)
• parsley or cilantro (finely diced)
• garlic (1-2 cloves, minced)
• bread crumbs (200g)
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten*
• salt & pepper
• Worcestershire Sauce
• tomato, sliced
• Hamburger buns
|Step 1: Prepare patties
1. Mash black beans into a lumpy paste
2. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and parsley and mix well
3. Add egg and blend, then mix bread crumbs in. Batter should be firm and a little sticky.
4. Shape into patty and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Step 2: Fry or bake the burgers
1. Over a medium high heat, add olive oil and place patties in the frying pan, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes
2. Flip, brush with Worcestershire sauce and cook second side
(these burgers can also be baked in the oven at 180ºC for 15-20 minutes. Place burgers on baking paper, brush with Worcestershire sauce and put into preheated oven)
|tips: Using cold beans will help the burgers keep their shape when cooking
*If you want a vegetarian version skip the egg. You can use a little soft tofu(絹豆腐) if you need a little more moisture. Mayonnaise can be switched for ketchup or your favorite salad dressing.
How to cook dried black beans (黒インゲン豆）
200g (about 1 cup) dried black beans, one orange skin and all (cut in half), one small onion, one clove of garlic, 1/2 cup of soup stock (vegetable, chicken, beef or Japanese soup stock/だし are all delicious, it is up to your tastes) 2 cups of water.
１．Wash the beans and remove any bad ones and debris.
2. Cover with water and soak overnight (4-6 hours).
3. (Day 2) Change water. Over a low heat bring to a boil. Remove any scum.
4. Add soup stock, orange, onion and garlic
5. Simmer until the beans are soft.
6. Once beans are soft turn up heat to boil off any extra liquid.