Chicken and turkey soups are a big part of end of year food culture in North America. After eating the meat off a roast turkey, the bones are boiled for 2 days to make turkey stock. Add to this celery, carrots and your other favorite vegetables to make a healthy hearty soup. This month let’s enjoy a little Christmas flavor while eating some wholesome cold-fighting food!
Roast Ginger Chicken Soup Serves 6
|– 2-3 Chicken thighs
– 2 onions
– 2 large carrots
– Ginger (julienned)
– Rice cakes or bread
|1. Rub chicken thighs, onion and carrots with a generous amount of salt and olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes in an oven at 180. Chicken skin should be golden brown, and vegetables should be tender and a little brown.
2. Remove from oven and cool. Save the drippings from the oven.
3. Dice the chicken into cubes, slice onions and carrots into large chunks.
4. In a large pot, boil water and add ginger and drippings.
5. Add chicken and vegetables and simmer on a low heat 15-20 minutes. Let stand for another 20 minutes.
6. Serve with rice cakes or fresh bread.
Join us for lunch Nov 28th, 2018 from 11:00-13:00.
Reservations open until Nov 26th. Fee is 1500 yen.
This month we are doing a vegetarian(ish) recipe, black bean burgers. I will prepare the beans in advance but the recipe is available below. For now the burger recipe.
Makes 8 patties.
|• cooked black beans (400g)
• shitake (saute, diced)
• medium onion (1, grated)
• parsley or cilantro (finely diced)
• garlic (1-2 cloves, minced)
• bread crumbs (200g)
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten*
• salt & pepper
• Worcestershire Sauce
• tomato, sliced
• Hamburger buns
|Step 1: Prepare patties
1. Mash black beans into a lumpy paste
2. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and parsley and mix well
3. Add egg and blend, then mix bread crumbs in. Batter should be firm and a little sticky.
4. Shape into patty and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Step 2: Fry or bake the burgers
1. Over a medium high heat, add olive oil and place patties in the frying pan, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes
2. Flip, brush with Worcestershire sauce and cook second side
(these burgers can also be baked in the oven at 180ºC for 15-20 minutes. Place burgers on baking paper, brush with Worcestershire sauce and put into preheated oven)
|tips: Using cold beans will help the burgers keep their shape when cooking
*If you want a vegetarian version skip the egg. You can use a little soft tofu(絹豆腐) if you need a little more moisture. Mayonnaise can be switched for ketchup or your favorite salad dressing.
How to cook dried black beans (黒インゲン豆）
200g (about 1 cup) dried black beans, one orange skin and all (cut in half), one small onion, one clove of garlic, 1/2 cup of soup stock (vegetable, chicken, beef or Japanese soup stock/だし are all delicious, it is up to your tastes) 2 cups of water.
１．Wash the beans and remove any bad ones and debris.
2. Cover with water and soak overnight (4-6 hours).
3. (Day 2) Change water. Over a low heat bring to a boil. Remove any scum.
4. Add soup stock, orange, onion and garlic
5. Simmer until the beans are soft.
6. Once beans are soft turn up heat to boil off any extra liquid.
Join us for lunch Oct 31st, 2018 from 11:00-13:00.
Reservations open until Oct 29th. Fee is 1500 yen.
After a year off, I am back in the kitchen this month. Join me and enjoy this super simple French dish. A great autumn meal for the cooler darker evenings. This is a poor man’s cassolette. Traditionally, this meal is slow cooked in an oven for 2-3 hours. Since we don’t have an oven (or 2-3 hours cooking time) we will use a simplified recipe we can do in a deep dish frying pan.
Cassolette (serves 6)
|200-300g of pork belly, sliced and salted
4 large garlic sausages, chopped
200g haricot beans (soy beans are good too)
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced (or crushed)
1 celery stalk, diced
1 medium carrot, sliced in coins
200mL tomato puree
bouquet garni – dried herbs
olive oil (if needed)
|1. In a deep frying pan or non-stick nabe, brown pork belly and sausage over a medium high heat. Then set aside.
2. Using fat from the meat, sautee onion until golden brown, then add celery, carrots and bouquet garni. (add olive oil if needed)
3. Cover and sweat for a few minutes.
4. Once vegetables are soft, add garlic and a little water to deglaze the pan.
5. Add tomato puree and a little more water, allow ingredients to bubble a little.
6. Add beans, meat and more water if needed.
7. Reduce heat and cover for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes.
9. Remove bouquet garni and serve with bread.