So my mum has gone back to Canada, after a long stay to help me with the transition from one child to two. I learned a lot from her in the weeks she was here. Mostly about recipes you can cook with one hand. This chicken biryani recipe is super simple, and very mild. Join us next Wednesday to learn how to make it.
Chicken Biriyani (serves 6)
|* chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces and salted (50-80g per person)
* onion, diced
* garlic, minced
* cauliflower, 1 head, broken into small pieces
* zucchini, cut into chunks
* cumin, 1-3 tbsp
* cardamom, 1-2 tsp
* turmeric, 2-4 tsp
* butter, 50g
* chick peas, 1 can
* coconut milk, 1 can, plus 1 can of hot water
* chicken soup stock, 1-2 cubes
* garam masala, 2 tsp
* lemon or lime juice, about 50mL
* coriander leaf to garnish, 1 bunch
* 300g basmati rice
|1. In a deep pan, melt butter and sauté onions.
2. Add cumin, turmeric and cardamom and sauté until you get a good fragrance.
3. Add chicken and garlic and cook chicken until about 60% done.
4. Add vegetables and toss everything.
5. Add chick peas and coconut milk, stir well.
6. Refill coconut milk can with hot water and chicken soup stock, stir and add to pot.
7. Add garam masala and lemon juice.
8. Finally add basmati rice (Thai rice)
9. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer about 15 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
10. Remove from heat, add coriander leaves and stir. Let stand for 30-60 minutes before serving.
Let’s welcome the newest member of the International Club Team, Jamila. What better way to celebrate than with a little home food! This month’s recipe for our English cooking class will be bakes: a kind of Caribbean bready doughnut.
See the recipe below.
RSVP by Sept 25th, Fee: 1500 yen
|1kg all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp sugar
250mL vegetable oil
|1. In a large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Add water, 100mL at a time, to make a soft dough.
3. When the dough comes together, knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Let rest, for 5-10 minutes.
4. Knead the dough again for 1 minute and then divide it into 10-15 balls.
5. Heat oil in a deep pan.
6. Roll balls of dough into a medium sized circle. Do not to make it too flat.
7. Add dough to heated oil. When the bottom side of the dough has browned, flip over. Let fry until this side is browned as well.
8. Remove bake from pan, draining off the excess oil. Place into a paper towel-lined bowl.
Serve and eat as is or with desired filling.
Cheese/Tuna Paste Filling
Yellow onion (diced)
|1. Place cheese and tuna into a large bowl. Add grated or diced onion.
2. Add small amounts of mayonnaise and mustard, and mix well. Add more mayonnaise or mustard to taste, but be careful not to add too much mayonnaise.