Let’s welcome the newest member of the International Club Team, Jamila. What better way to celebrate than with a little home food! This month’s recipe for our English cooking class will be bakes: a kind of Caribbean bready doughnut.
See the recipe below.
RSVP by Sept 25th, Fee: 1500 yen
|1kg all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp sugar
250mL vegetable oil
|1. In a large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Add water, 100mL at a time, to make a soft dough.
3. When the dough comes together, knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Let rest, for 5-10 minutes.
4. Knead the dough again for 1 minute and then divide it into 10-15 balls.
5. Heat oil in a deep pan.
6. Roll balls of dough into a medium sized circle. Do not to make it too flat.
7. Add dough to heated oil. When the bottom side of the dough has browned, flip over. Let fry until this side is browned as well.
8. Remove bake from pan, draining off the excess oil. Place into a paper towel-lined bowl.
Serve and eat as is or with desired filling.
Cheese/Tuna Paste Filling
Yellow onion (diced)
|1. Place cheese and tuna into a large bowl. Add grated or diced onion.
2. Add small amounts of mayonnaise and mustard, and mix well. Add more mayonnaise or mustard to taste, but be careful not to add too much mayonnaise.