Chicken and turkey soups are a big part of end of year food culture in North America. After eating the meat off a roast turkey, the bones are boiled for 2 days to make turkey stock. Add to this celery, carrots and your other favorite vegetables to make a healthy hearty soup. This month let’s enjoy a little Christmas flavor while eating some wholesome cold-fighting food!
Roast Ginger Chicken Soup Serves 6
|– 2-3 Chicken thighs
– 2 onions
– 2 large carrots
– Ginger (julienned)
– Rice cakes or bread
|1. Rub chicken thighs, onion and carrots with a generous amount of salt and olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes in an oven at 180. Chicken skin should be golden brown, and vegetables should be tender and a little brown.
2. Remove from oven and cool. Save the drippings from the oven.
3. Dice the chicken into cubes, slice onions and carrots into large chunks.
4. In a large pot, boil water and add ginger and drippings.
5. Add chicken and vegetables and simmer on a low heat 15-20 minutes. Let stand for another 20 minutes.
6. Serve with rice cakes or fresh bread.